Mentoring Program Application
Dear Scholarship Applicant:
The Lincoln Heights Education Project, Inc. in partnership with Lincoln High School offers a mentoring program and scholarship in which students are selected and mentored until graduation.
If selected, the student must:
- must attend Lincoln High School from the 2022-23 school year until graduation,
- maintain an overall GPA of 3.25,
- attend monthly meetings
- participate in Mentoring Program activities, including parent meetings and at least one Mentoring extracurricular event per semester.
- be enrolled in a 4-year or community college upon graduation.
1: Applications will be available on May 8, 2023.
2: Students complete and submit application. This includes: (1) fill out the application form, (2) write an essay, (3) obtain a letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, administrator, or community person and (4) submit copies of official school transcripts, and (4) complete the online response questions.
In your essay, please discuss (1) Your personal background. This may include barriers you have faced and the lessons learned in attempting to overcome them. (2) Your academic plans. This may cover your high school plans, college goals and other areas of interest or study. (3) Your commitment to your family, friends, school and community. This may include specific examples and why they are important to you. (4) Your financial situation. This may include discussing what a scholarship will mean to you. (We recognize that this essay synthesizes other information in this application.)
At least five students will be selected to earn a $1,000 Mentoring Scholarship
- Academic potential, including GPA, difficulty of course load, enrollment in college preparatory courses, and intent to attend college
- Commitment to community including volunteer work and demonstration of desire to make a difference in one's community and school.
- Financial need including how one's family situation will impact the student's path to college
- Extraordinary circumstances, including adversity that the student has had to overcome
- Be a 9th grade student enrolled at Lincoln High School,
- Have a grade point average of 3.00 in the current 9th grade year, and
- Demonstrate a commitment to academic achievement along with school and/or community involvement.
To submit your documents, you need to scan your letter of recommendation and transcript into PDF format for uploading. Save your essay in PDF format. Microsoft Word allows you to save your documents as PDF. (You are advised to save a copy for your records.)
The completed application is due by Tuesday, May 23, 2023.
Currently we are not taking applications.